Friday, March 2, 2007

DEKALB and Asgrow growers treated like stars


So, do you remember that yacht I posted a picture of earlier this week? The one with the hot tub in the back? Well, I went on a yacht last night that was bigger, much bigger. And even though this yacht didn’t have a hot tub, the producers made it worthwhile. Alyssa and I grabbed a quick picture before we got on!

Last night, growers who won the National Corn Growers Yield Contest with Asgrow or DEKALB seed, got the privilege of taking a boat ride. They were wined and dined and treated like stars. First, all the women were given corsages. The picture is of me actually pinning people. This woman was brave because I warned them that I would more than likely draw blood, but I got better as I went along. I admit I was slow, but the consequences were much better if I took my time. Then, when they got on the boat they got food, drinks, awards, and a great atmosphere with a live band. To top everything off and wrap up the night, we enjoyed a firework show.

While I was having a good time, I actually did some work and interviewed a Nebraska state winner. Bruce Wiles, a grower from Plattsmouth, Nebraska talked about the contest, as well as his time here in Florida. And the one thing that he is enjoying the most, is the people. I agree with him. I mean, producers put all the stress of the farm behind them and come to Classic to have a great time. Last night definitely proved that!

Alyssa and I took time for a great photo on the boat. It was great weather and as I said before, the growers made the night enjoyable and memorable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyne! I wish I could have been on that yacht. You are doing an amazing job blogging!

Anonymous said...

I agree, that seems like it was an amazing experience.